Thursday, February 18, 2016

Current Masking Duo: Peter Thomas Roth Rose Stem Cell Gel Mask & Clarins Pure and Radiant

Today I'd like to share with you two short reviews of the facial masks I've been using currently. I was sorting through my stash of skincare minis a few weeks ago and came across these two beauties: Peter Thomas Roth Rose Stem Cell Bio-Repair Gel Mask ($52 for 5 oz, mine is a GWP size) and Clarins Truly Matte Pure and Radiant Mask with Pink Clay ($33 for 1.7 fl oz, again I have a GWP deluxe sample).
Let's start with the Peter Thomas Roth Rose Stem Cell. This mask claims to 'help counteract visible signs of aging, including the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, dehydration, dullness, and sagging'. It contains 'cell extracts' of four different types of roses, as well as castor oil, rose oils, rose water, glycerin, allantoin and aloe. Mind you, I don't believe in stem cell technology for topical cosmetic use - research doesn't support the claim that those 'isolated stem cells' have any miraculous anti-aging effects. I think it's just a marketing gimmick - but I can disregard that if the product performs well anyway.
 
Peter Thomas Roth Rose Stem Cell Mask strongly reminds me of rose-scented hair gel. It's quite thick and spreads easily, but it doesn't melt into the skin the same way as my beloved Laneige Water Sleeping Mask (reviewed here). Once applied, the gel feels cooling and soothing on the skin, and after a couple minutes, sinks in but still leaves a discernible layer on the face. After rinsing my face after the recommended 10 minutes (which actually isn't all that easy - the residue sticks to the skin and refuses to leave without some elbow grease), my skin feels soft and soothed but only a little hydrated. Sure, this mask isn't drying, but it's definitely not as hydrating as just about any sheet mask I've tried, or the above mentioned Laneige, or even the much less expensive Andalou Naturals 1000 Roses Rosewater Mask, reviewed here. I don't know, you guys; it's nice, it's quite pleasant to use, but I've had better results with other masks. For me, the performance doesn't warrant the high price tag.
On the other hand, I was quite pleasantly surprised by the Clarins Pure and Radiant Mask. It claims to 'clean, tighten and refine pores with a fresh matte result' as well as 'soften, smooth and comfort skin with Linden Extract'. I think it does exactly that. Annoingly, Clarins doesn't provide full ingredients lists for their products - I've only found an INCI list on Beautypedia (which gives this mask a 2 out 5 rating, by the way), according to which this contains kaolin, titanium dioxide as well as a whole host of emollients such as caprylic/ capric triglycerides, glycerin and isoparaffin.

Yeah, so maybe this mask doesn't have the best ingredients and contains signature Clarins fragrance (which I actuallt enjoy) - but it still works rather well. It has a smooth creamy consistency that's not too thick and thus easy to apply evenly on the face. While on the skin, it seems to sink in a little, without making your face incredibly tight and 'frozen', like a lot of clay masks tend to. It's also very easy to remove without scrubbing - it just rinses right off. After a 10-minute session with Clarins Pure and Radiant Mask, I'm left with a face that's soft and smooth, even in tone, and velvety matte. My pores appear somewhat smaller and there are no dry, irritated patches in sight.
If you've been considering this mask, I think it's a great little pick me up for normal to combination skin types that are prone to dehydration - because even though it's a clay mask, it doesn't dry the skin out. However, if your skin is combination to oily and you need some serious pore-purifying power - the Clarins mask isn't going to do much for you and I would probably steer you in the direction of something like the Aztec Healing Clay, reviewed here. Because my skin's been a lot drier and more sensitive lately, the Clarins is the perfect gentle clay mask for me - and I'll be sad once my sample runs out, but probably won't purchase the full size right away as I still want to compare it to the Caudalie Instant Detox Mask with pink clay.

There you have it - two short and sweet mask reviews. I'm curious, which masks are you reaching for in the winter? Do you still use clarifying masks or shelve them away until the warmer season? What is your favorite hydrating mask?

3 comments:

  1. I used Clarins mask with pink clay and i did like it but now I'm using a Etival clarifying remedy mask (Shoppers Drug Mart (Canadian drugstore in house skincare) i OMG i love it but it is being discontinued (just my luck). I did try Peter Thomas Roth cucumber gel mask and I didn't think it was doing anything to my skin either. :( I was tempt to try the pumpkin mask but maybe PTR still need to work on their mask? What you should used for Hydrating and cleansing is DARPHIN Aromatic purifying Balm, i put a thin layer on my face and sleep with it and my skin look so good in the morning worth every penny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! I am so wanting to try out that Clarins one. It seems a great one to try out and I have heard so many good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monika!! Have I properly thanked you yet for reviewing the Aztec Healing Clay? I use it daily now as second/AM cleanse, it is great! I mix a bit of it in a little tub with water and it gels up like it says (weird but true), and the consistency is perfect for a little cleanse. I can leave it on for a few as well if I have time and I never feel stripped with it, only a feeling of freshly cleansed skin.

    I'm still finishing up the Sisley Rose Mask, but I've gotten a sample of Paula's Choice Skin Hydrating mask which is a good leave-on/overnight mask. Not sticky, just a good, basic moisturizing mask. I've only used it once but seems promising. Another overnight/sleeping mask I want to try is from Pixi, but I think I'll finish up Sisley/Hada Labo sheet masks first before purchasing this.

    ReplyDelete